Monday, November 6, 2017

Coming-of-age story

     I'd like to talk a little bit today about my coming-of-age story. I think everybody has a coming-of-age story of some sort . For example, I recently found out that my great-grandmother came to  Ellis Island circa 1910, right around when my grandmother was born . Her last name was Filosa, and they emigrated to Waltham Massachusetts soon thereafter. My dad's father immigrated from Chatham New Brunswick circa 1930. His interest at the time was to play hockey with the Springfield Indians, the team run by Eddie shore not long after Eddie retired .  I know my dad left us with a lot of stories before he passed two years ago , and every time we see uncle Billy we listen for any new gems that we haven't heard before . The past is truly a fascinating thing, and I will document what I can so that my kids remember and tell the story as best as they can.
     I'm curious as to how others treat their coming-of-age stories. Are you curious about your forbears? I know short and long-term genealogy is becoming a big thing. I'm not sure if all these blood tests really aid in genealogy research or if they are merely moneymakers for whatever companies are doing the testing. I think I would like to travel to Chatham New Brunswick at some point in the near future , maybe this spring. My dad told me it was beautiful country and a grounding spot for Martin's way back at the turn-of-the-century.
     I know that people are equally concerned about where we're heading . The news is so fragmented these days, with discussions about kneeling at football games , North Korean conflicts, tax cuts that we can't afford, investigations that are starting to reap results, just so much going on. Being a centrist, I don't wander too far to the left or right so I have no real passion when it comes to right-wing issues or left-wing issues . I want to be able to make a good living, have a safety net when needed, and be able to pass something along to my kids that is meaningful. Like lynayrd skynard said, I'm a simple man . Being disabled certainly changes your viewpoint on a lot of things. As much as I want to engage in long-term thinking and medium-term thinking, I am more concerned with the present and with issues that need to be corrected in the short-term. I don't want to be a burden to others and want to be independent. I want to get to the point where I can work again and have something meaningful to say. I'm still not sure how that will work out as I'm not sure how much work I can endure . My endurance is a little limited at this point, but does get better with time.
     My message to my friends and family remains the same . Take care of yourselves, be diligent, and have fun out there. I appreciate you checking in when you do , I am here just about every day and love to hear from you. Be safe, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment